Abnormal changes in the voice is known to be called as “hoarseness” also referred as ‘hoarse voice‘ or popular as ‘galaa baithna‘ in Ayurveda.
When hoarse, the voice may sound weak, breathy, raspy, strained, or show changes in volume or pitch. Voice changes are related to disorders in the sound-producing parts known as vocal folds, of the voice box (larynx).Hoarseness can be caused by a number of conditions. The most common cause of hoarseness is
- Acute laryngitis also referred as inflammation of the vocal cords, caused most often due to cough, cold or viral fever.
- Overuse or misuse of the voice, such as from yelling or singing.
- Allergy or infection
- Alcohol consuming or smoking etc
The problem is quite jittery and people suffering from it just want to get rid of it ASAP. So here comes the home remedies to treat hoarseness, that are easy, effective and close to your kitchen :
♥ RAW SUHAGA OR BORAX herb :
Borax herb also popularly known as ‘suhaga’ in Ayurveda is of great medicinal value. It can be used to cure a number of health problems. All you need to do is :
- Take 1/2 gm or pea sized of Raw Suhaga or Borax.
- Keep it in your mouth and suck it occasionally.
- It will provide instant relief from temporary loss of voice, if any.
- And provide complete relief from hoarseness or sour throat within 2-3 hours of usage.
- It is a great remedy in curing hoarseness due to misuse of voice like yelling or singing loud.
♥ LIQUORICE OR MULETHI powder :
Liquorice, commonly called as mulethi in India, is a popular condiment that not only acts as a good flavouring agent but is also widely used home remedy because of its widespread medical properties.
- Take about 1 gm of mulethi powder preferably before bed time.
- Put all this powder into your mouth and chew it for some seconds ( basically to wet the powder)
- keep it like that in your mouth and lie down or go to sleep.
- In this way you are swallowing the mulethi powder but slowly.
- Or to do this more simply and effectively, Just put this 1 gm of mulethi powder in betel leaf and chew it slowly before bedtime.
- You will get complete relief from hoarse voice till morning.
- It is also helpful in soreness or swelling in throat.
ALSO READ : Common cold : home remedies to fight with it !!
♥ BLACK PEPPER :
Black pepper is the star among home remedies for hoarseness because of its natural goodness. It helps soothe an irritated throat and also reduces pain and swelling. It is very effective in cough, cold, fever and hoarse voice.
- Take 7 whole black pepper and 7 batasha or sugar drop candy. Chew both of them together before bed time.
- OR You can make syrup of 7 batasha by adding a little water and add powder of 7 black pepper to it. Have it slowly before bed time.
- OR Take 7-10 whole black pepper and equal weight of rock candy (mishri).Grind them to a fine powder. Add a little ghee (clarified butter ) to it to make small balls. suck these balls 4 times a day.
- All the above remedies are equally beneficial and provide immediate relief from hoarse voice.